Friday, January 8, 2010

On Loss

I'm having a sad day. A friend of a friend lost her daughter to the child's father. He shot and killed his nine-year old daughter, after arguing on the phone with the child's mother. The man also shot the babysitter. An innocent bystander.
My friend is grieving over the loss of this child and keeps running scenarios about the number of times she babysat the girl. My friend recalls how easily she could have been the babysitter. My friend is grieving for her friend who will not see her child agonize over what to wear to her school dance. There will be no high school graduation and no first day of college.
Instead, she will live with the loss of her child. And the father will sit in prison for the rest of his life. I'm not sure leaving this man alive at the expense of New York's taxpaying citizens is fair. The father had no remorse when he pulled the trigger and a firing squad won't either.

No comments:

Post a Comment