Monday, August 24, 2009

The Long & Short of It

The Obamas have started their family vacation in New England. Outside of the fact that our first family will never be far from our hearts, minds and laptop screens, the real news here is not that the president will receive daily briefings on world affairs, but the fact that Michelle Obama chose to go long in descending Air Force one this time around, lest she be criticized for wearing shorts on her family vacation.
The last time the Obamas vacationed this summer Mrs. O chose to go casual - very casual. But maybe after so much scrutiny over her choice in shorts over slacks or even a skirt, Michelle Obama today chose a dress.
I'm still not sure what all of the fuss was about? was it the fact that Michelle is not 20-something and chose to show a little leg or is it really that she committed a first lady fashion faux pas? If I were Michelle, I'd be focused on what clothes were right for my body type- as her shorts seemed to fit her well - and what will these photos tell my girls years from now.
I think it's this last option that will have the most profound effect on our American pysches. So for right now, I agree with our Pres. - everybody should chill out and enjoy the rest of their summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment