Saturday, August 22, 2009

It's A...

My friend is pregnant - due in the next couple of weeks. My husband and her husband are childhood friends so we went to visit them a few weeks ago for their baby shower. At dinner the night before the shower, I asked my friend if she's had strange people walking up to her wanting to touch her belly. To that she replied. "Nope." I, being naturally curious, wondering if people have suddenly developed a sense of personal space, said, "Really?" in a tone laced with great surprise.
She, in turn jokingly remarked, "Nope, I think they think I'm just really fat." Now my friend is a plus-sized woman, clearly comfortable with who she is. But I was reminded of her remark when I opened up Yahoo! News today and saw the headline about the South African sprinter, Caster Semenya, whose gender appears to be undecided - or rather unconfirmed.
Unconfirmed for the media and possibly for South African sports officials. At first read this morning, I thought, "that's awful. How could people de-womanize her?' Then I saw the photo. Then I saw her/his name. So we've got a gender neutral name like Caster, and a face that screams wo/man and I'm left rubbing my chin.
The parents say that's their little girl. I say there is proof, like the ultrasound picture my friend sent around of her little girl. That way everyone knew whether or not to buy pink or blue. No ultrasound? I would offer the high heels test, but any self respecting Tran-y can pull that feat off. Or ask if she likes pink or blue? That question is loaded, because my husband has several pinks shirts...and I can confirm his gender. I'm running out of tests...except for the one that apparently could send this fast-as-lighting sprinter over the edge - drop 'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment