Thursday, July 22, 2010

Of Madison Avenue and Meat

I can't afford to buy from Madison Avenue in NYC. That's why I've occasionally indulged in quality knockoffs. I'm convinced the only good thing to come off the back of a truck is a really good Gucci knockoff.
Here's why:
Yesterday, two men from Circle C Meats (Garner, NC) knocked on my door here in Smithfield, NC and asked my husband and I to buy some meat from the cooler in the back of their pickup. We protested mightily at first, but there were a lot of words coming out of their mouth and they kept lowering the price on this "top quality" beef that we could never buy at the grocery store for this price. And, but wait, there's more...they threw in some "free" chicken. By the time they stopped making deals I was writing a check for $189.52. It wasn't until after they left we came to our senses--we were snookered. Our price per pound came out to about $9. There's not enough meat there to support that price.
We called asking for a refund. They said read your brochure--it says no refund. We called the bank to cancel our check, but we were too late. We've lodged a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and are reiterating our request in writing to Circle C for a refund. Both North Carolina law and federal law says we have three days to reconsider our purchase. So we now have to wait and see what happens next.
So the moral of this story is buying meat off the back of a pickup is a far cry from Madison Avenue. Stick to the Gucci knockoffs. You'll be just a little bit closer.

2 comments:

  1. I have bought and will continue to buy from Circle C. They have quality meats and good prices. I am from Elm City and have bought chicken, beef and seafood. All good quality and great prices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They came into my neighborhood one time too and I too bought from them. It sounded like a good deal at the time, but like you when I added it up and divided by pounds it was not such a good deal. However I think it did come out cheaper than their website. They were just in my neighborhood again in N. Raleigh and knocked on my door, but I didn't answer. I decided to look them up and found their website. I wanted to find out more about them and where they get their meat - didn't say anything about that. Their prices are not good in my opinion. Also, I think they put a lot of extra meat in their freezer when they're out making a delivery as a way to drum up more customers, so it seems that the product is good. The meat was good that we got, but nothing special. I had bought fish, chicken and steaks.

    ReplyDelete