Friday, May 7, 2010

Country Life, City Life


I recently moved to North Carolina. Smithfield (not the ham place), specifically. I'm living in a farm house that was first built in the early 1900's with subsequent sections added on later. I'm liking the extra space--coming from a one bedroom basement apartment, 3 bedrooms feels like a mansion.
I'm taking advantage of the yard I never had growing up in the projects of New Jersey's seaside bedroom community of Red Bank. I shared a postage stamp size front yard with the neighbor next door. In the back, we shared a clothes line as part of postage stamp. On our 1 acre of land we've started a garden and a compost pile. It think it's the latter part that has really bought home my new diggs.
A friend called the other day and I didn't answer because I was turning my compost heap. Hmmm...turning my compost heap...not something any of my friends would ever think they (or I) would hear me say. But the composting is a good, albeit sometimes tedious and even downright boring thing, sometimes. On the plus side I'm trying to convince myself that having a few hours of boring tasks such as managing my compost heap or raking my yard is just the time I need for reflection. It's a chance for me to turn off my phones--actually I just put them away from my immediate reach--and get a little exercise.
Now I just need to repeat that little directive 100 more times and I'm sure I'll start to believe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment